Instructional time should focus on four critical areas:
- Developing understanding of addition, subtraction and strategies for addition and subtraction within 20;
- Developing understanding of whole number relationships and place value, including grouping in tens and ones;
- Developing understanding of linear measurement and measuring lengths as iterating length units
- Reasoning about attributes of, and composing and decomposing geometric shapes.
Mathematical Practice Standards
- Make sense of problems and persevere in solving them.
- Reason abstractly and quantitatively.
- Construct viable arguments and critique the reasoning of others.
- Model with mathematics.
- Use appropriate tools strategically.
- Attend to precision.
- Look for and make use of structure
- Look for and express regularity in repeated reasoning.