Annual Benefits Enrollment
New Employee Enrollment: As a newly hired employee of Naperville Community Unit School District 203, you are eligible to participate in our benefits programs within 30 days of your effective date.
Existing Employee Enrollment: Annual Benefits Enrollment is held from mid-October to mid-November for benefits effective January 1st to December 31st. If you wish to apply for benefits outside of the Annual Enrollment period, you may only do so within 31 days of an IRS recognized life change event, as defined below:
- Employee’s legal marital status changes, such as marriage, divorce, separation or the death of a spouse.
- A change in the number of dependents, such as birth, death or adoption.
- Changes in employment status of the employee, spouse or dependents, which affects benefit eligibility status. This includes beginning or ending employment, new or different work hours, a change due to a strike, a change from full-time to part-time status or visa versa, or beginning or ending an unpaid leave of absence.
- A dependent becoming eligible or ineligible for coverage due to age, obtaining other group coverage, or any similar circumstance.
Benefit changes due to a life change event must satisfy a consistency rule. That is, an election of benefits or change in coverage must be on account of, and correspond with, the change in status that affects eligibility for coverage under the medical and dental plan.
Voluntarily terminating existing benefits does not qualify as a life change event. You have the right to terminate your benefits with Naperville CUSD 203 during the Annual Enrollment period. Benefit termination will be effective January 1st; you may not rejoin the plan until the next Annual Enrollment period or if you experience a life change event, as detailed above.
It is your responsibility to notify your Benefits Specialist within 30 days of the life change event. Any misrepresentations, inaccurate information, or failure to provide information could result in the loss of coverage. If you cover an individual who is not eligible for benefits, you will be required to reimburse the plan for any expenses incurred as a result and further disciplinary actions may be taken.
Enrollment in Naperville CUSD 203’s family health care plan requires proof of dependent eligibility. Eligible dependents are spouses, civil union partners, and children (biological, adopted and those for whom you have legal guardianship and accompanying documentation) under age 26. You will be required to provide the following documents (as applicable) to the Employee Benefits Coordinator in the Business Office along with your enrollment form:
- A copy of your Marriage or Civil Union Certificate OR a copy of your most recent joint Federal Tax Return
- A copy of the Birth Certificate for each dependent to be covered under the plan, excluding your spouse, OR Adoption Certificate or Court Order
- Spousal/Civil Union Partner Affidavit
Divorced or legally separated spouses are ineligible for coverage as of the day of the divorce or legal separation. Dependent children are ineligible for coverage as of the end of the month they turn age 26. It is essential to notify the Business Office of ineligibility in a timely manner to ensure your dependent’s right to COBRA Continuation.