The Student Services Staff is here to work with you as you navigate through your four years in our NCHS community. We believe that teamwork between school professionals, students and parents is essential for your success. The Student Services Department is composed of a variety of staff member who are here to help you:

    School Counselors provide support to students in three different areas: Academic/Educational counseling, Career Exploration and Post-High School planning, and Social/Emotional support. During your four years of high school you will meet with your counselor for group counseling curriculum, individual planning sessions for course selection and post-high school planning, and also on an as-needed basis to meet your individual needs. 

    School Social Workers Workers assist students with personal issues and challenges that are affecting their academic progress through support groups and individual counseling. Social workers have a high level of expertise to assist students with personal and emotional concerns as well as crisis intervention. 

    School Nurses are responsible for any health/medical concerns a student may have that impact their day here at NCHS. Our Health Office is located just adjacent to Student Services.
    Deans and School Resource Officer are responsible for working with students and families on discipline issues, attendance, conflict resolution and safety. The Deans also handle issues such as student parking and locker assignments. Your Dean is a great resource if you have any concerns and are not sure where to go.
    Scroll through this page, or click on the section below:
  • College and Career Center

    The College and Career Center is staffed by College and Career Counselor, Maddie Corder, and College and Career Center Assistan, Jean Childers.  The College and Career Center (CCC) is located off of the Learning Commons and can also be accessed at the back of the Student Services Department.  The CCC hosts over 250 college visits yeac year and houses great resoureces forthe postsecondary planning process.  The CCC is open on school days from 7am-3:30pm and students are welcome to drop in any time.  To make an appointment wiht Mrs. Corder, please contact her directly at mcorder@naperville203.org.


    Lost items, which are found, should be turned in to Student Services. A theft report form may be obtained from the School Resource Officer (S.R.O.) or from the Main Office. A copy of each report will be forwarded to the appropriate Dean. A conference with the S.R.O. is advisable in cases of suspected theft. Lost textbooks may be retrieved from the appropriate departmental office. A lost and found is also located in the Physical Education Department. 


    The Student Services Office Secretaries can assist with work permits. Please contact the Student Services Secretary for your alpha team.

    To obtain a work permit, you must provide the following:

    1. Copy of Social security card;
    2. Copy of Birth Certificate
    3. Letter from employer describing job (needs address of employer – prefer this on employer letterhead)
    4. Physical form dated in the last year (if you attend NCHS and your medical records are complete, then you don’t need to provide this)
    5. If parent is not here to sign the permit form, please provide a signed not from your
    parent or guardian allowing you permission to work.

    Naperville Central High School makes every attempt to work with our community to avoid scheduling extra-curricular events on major religious holidays. However, with the volume of events to schedule in a finite school calendar, it is not always possible to avoid every religious holiday. It is our desire to respect the religious practices of every family in our school. The school fully supports that should such a conflict occur, students are encouraged to celebrate the religious observances. Early communication with coaches and sponsors is critical in such cases. Please check all published schedules for such potential conflicts.


    Naperville Community Unit School District 203 provides a full continuum of educational services and supports for students with disabilities who qualify under the Individual with Disabilities Act (IDEA). Services and supports are individually designed by a team of individuals most familiar with the educational needs of the student (IEP team), and in accordance with federal and state laws. Students may be referred for a special education evaluation by their parents or any member of the school team. If you suspect your child has a disability which requires special education and related services, please submit a letter identifying your concerns to your child’s counselor.

    Back to Top


  • Naperville Central High School

    2021-22 Standardized Testing Information

    To register for an SAT National test - go to: SAT Test Registration            
    To register for an ACT National test - go to:  ACT test registration  







    August 28th, 2021

    National SAT

    @ NCHS

    Registration deadline: July 30th

    September 11th, 2021

    National ACT

    Registration deadline:  Aug. 6th 

    October 2nd, 2021

    National SAT

    Registration deadline: Sept. 3rd

    October 13th, 2021


    No need to register – ALL NCHS

    Juniors will take this test

    October 23rd, 2021

    National ACT

    @ NNHS

    Registration deadline: Sept. 17th 

    November 6th, 2021

    National SAT

    @ NNHS

    Registration deadline:  Oct. 8th

    December 4th, 2021

    National SAT

    Registration deadline:  Nov. 4th

    December 11th, 2021

    National ACT

    Registration deadline:  Nov. 5th

    February 12th, 2022

    National ACT


    Registration deadline:  Jan. 7th

    March 12th, 2022

    National SAT

    At NCHS

    Registration deadline:  Feb. 11th

    April 2nd, 2022

    National ACT

    Registration deadline:  Feb. 25th 

    April 13th, 2022


    All NCHS Juniors will test.

    No registration required.

    April 13th, 2022


    All NCHS Sophomores will test.

    No registration required.

    April 14th , 2022

    PSAT 8-9

    All NCHS Freshmen will test.

    No registration required.

    May 7th, 2022

    National SAT

    Registration deadline:  April 8th

    May 2-13, 2022

    Advanced Placement Testing

    Registration for all AP Testing will take place by November 6th, 2021  

    June 4th, 2022

    National SAT

    At NCHS

    Registration deadline:  May 5th

    June 11th, 2022

    National ACT

    Registration deadline:  May 6th

    July 16th, 2022

    National ACT

    Registration deadline:  June 17th




     Questions Regarding Standardized Tests? 

    Please contact: 

     Testing Coordinator - 630-548-4405 

    Debra Ericson - dericson@naperville203.org 


    Health procedures may be updated in accordane with CDC guidelines given the changing status of the COVID pandemic.

    It is the goal of our school Health Services to have all students safe, healthy, and ready to learn. The health office is located near the main office and is staffed during the school day by a health technician who is certified in First Aid and CPR/AED. A certified school nurse is at the school and/or available on an on-call basis. The health office provides services to students who have become ill, injured, or who need help with medical needs. The health office also maintains documentation of student visits and health records. High schools require students to obtain a pass from their classroom teacher before reporting to the health office unless it is an  emergency. STUDENTS MAY NOT LEAVE THE SCHOOL FOR ILLNESS/INJURY WITHOUT FIRST REPORTING TO THE HEALTH OFFICE FOR EVALUATION.

    If your student has a special health concern (i.e. asthma, food or bee sting allergies. diabetes, etc.) please notify the health office so that we can ensure the health and well-being of your child while   he or she is in school.  When your child is taking daily medication at home, please notify the Health Office so that any side effects that may occur will be recognized more easily and proper steps can be taken toward treatment. If your child has a health concern and will be  participating in an after school activity or sport, it is the parent’s responsibility to notify the adult in charge of the activity. Epinephrine auto-injectors, inhalers, and other medications are not available for after school activities and sports. The Health Office is staffed only during the school day and is required to be locked before and after school day hours.

    Because many communicable diseases occur throughout the school year, and because most do not pose a serious threat to the general population, we do not inform parents every time a new case of illness occurs. If you have a special need to know about cases of communicable diseases, such as chickenpox, occurring in your child's classroom (i.e. your student or a family member is immunosuppressed, or has similar health concerns) please inform the health office. We will contact you if such an illness occurs in your child's class.

    All forms used by the District health offices are available online at the District website or in the health office.


    A written parent request for exclusion from physical education (P.E.) is valid for three consecutive periods and should be presented to the Health Technician who will in turn notify the P.E. teacher (and classroom teacher in elementary schools). Any situations needing exclusion for P.E. past three days requires a physician's evaluation/note of excusal.


    The State of Illinois requires that all students in Kindergarten, second, sixth and ninth grades have an oral health examination performed by a licensed dentist. Following your child’s exam, please have your dentist fill out the form required by the state and return it to the health office of his/her school no later than May 15 of the year of the required exam. The exam must have been performed any time within an 18-month period prior to this due date. Exam forms are also available at your dentist's office. If you need a referral to find a dentist or financial assistance to obtain your child’s exam, please contact your school’s health office for assistance from the nurse.


    The state of Illinois requires that all students entering Kindergarten or entering school for the first time from out of state shall have an eye examination from an eye doctor before October 15  of the year of the required exam or within 30 days of enrollment for new students from out of state. Eye exam forms are also available at your eye doctor’s office.

    Students receive a screening for vision and hearing routinely during their school experience from staff of the DuPage County Health Department. Parents of students meeting referral criteria will be contacted. Parents/guardians may request additional vision and/or hearing screening at any time by contacting the health office.


    A physical examination, completed by a licensed physician or nurse practitioner is required for entrance into Preschool, Kindergarten, sixth grade, ninth grade, and/or when transferring into   state of Illinois schools for the first time. These forms should be turned in to the District by the first day of school, but no later than October 15th of the year of the required examination. Exam reports for out-of-state students must be turned in by October 15th or within 30 days of enrollment, whichever comes first. Exam forms are also available at your health care provider’s office.

    The health history portion of the physical examination form must be completed and signed by the parent in order for the physical to be considered valid by the state of Illinois.

    The exam must be dated within one year prior to the date the student enters school.

    Physical examinations may be acquired through your primary care provider. If you do not have a primary care provider, you may contact your school nurse or the DuPage County Health Department for referrals to local health clinics that provide such services.

    High school athletes, including cheerleaders, must also have a current physical prior to tryouts. A separate physical is not required for students to participate in intramurals.


    Because immunization requirements are frequently updated, parents are advised to consult with their primary care provider about the status of their student’s immunizations and compliance with  the most recent requirements of the state of Illinois.


    Illinois Public Act 099-0843 requires schools to request an Asthma Action Plan from parents of students with asthma. When provided, the asthma action plan will be kept on file in the office of the school nurse. With proper authorization, students may carry and self-administer an inhaler (using a spacer) for the treatment of asthma. A back-up inhaler and spacer should be kept in the school health office. Forms for asthma management can be found on the district website under Health Services.

    An emergency protocol for asthma emergencies has been developed by the District. If a student  has an asthma emergency without access to his or her rescue inhaler, school staff may call 911, to ensure the safety of the student.


    Keep your child home:

    1. If a rash is present that has not been evaluated by a physician.
    2. If your child's oral temperature measures 100 degrees F or higher. A child with such a fever should remain home for 24 hours after the temperature returns to normal without the use of fever reducing medicines.
    3. If your child vomits 2 or more times in the previous 24 hours and/or continues to experience nausea and/or vomiting.
    4. If your child experiences loose or watery stools with a frequency greater than usual. The symptom should be referred to a physician for evaluation.
    5. If your child complains of severe, persistent pain. The symptom should be referred to a physician for evaluation.
    6. If your child shows signs of upper respiratory infection (cold symptoms) serious enough to interfere with the child's ability to learn.
    7. If there are signs of conjunctivitis ("pink eye") with matter coming from one or both eyes, itching, and/or crusts on eyelids. The symptom should be referred to a physician for evaluation.
    8. If there are open sores that have not been evaluated by a physician. Once a student has provided a written physician release for a student to return to school, any open wound or sore will be covered with a dressing taped on all four sides.

    If you are not sure about whether to send your child to school, call or visit your child's physician. Parent will be called if students display any of the symptoms listed above. Any child leaving school during school hours must be signed out at the office by the adult assuming responsibility for that child.

    Good health and good attendance give a child a head start toward a good education. Encourage your child toward habits of good nutrition, proper rest and exercise, and proper dental and   personal hygiene. Attendance is monitored periodically throughout the school year and you will be notified if your child’s absences and/or tardies exceed 5% of the dates of school attendance.


    In case of accident or illness at school this procedure will be followed:

    1. First aid is administered.
    2. If serious, parents are contacted. Paramedics will be called for potentially life threatening situations or for serious injuries.
    3. If the parents cannot be reached, the local emergency contact provided by the parents will be called. Please be certain that we have at least two emergency numbers to call in case we can't reach either parent. Please do not give a person's name and number as the emergency contact who is gone during the same hours you are away from home (i.e. bridge groups, bowling teams, tennis, etc.) Please keep these numbers up-to-date when people move or change jobs.  Also, the person(s) given as emergency contacts should consent to be listed.  They should be informed they may be asked to come to pick up a sick child. Emergency information is used by staff in case of illness or accident.

    If the parents or emergency numbers cannot be reached, emergency medical services may need to be utilized.

    All accidents, no matter how minor, are to be reported to the teacher in charge, who will refer to the health office if necessary. Accidents occurring on the way to school should be reported to the health technician immediately upon reaching the school building. If the health technician is not in the building, accidents should be reported to the office.


    Following Injuries, Hospitalizations, Surgeries

    Students should present a note from a physician or nurse practitioner stating the student is allowed to return to school, following discharge from a hospital admission, surgery, or an illness with absence from school for more than five days.

    Any temporary restrictions or accommodations needed after an injury or surgeries require written orders from a physician or nurse practitioner. Instructions from physical therapists should be communicated to the physician or nurse practitioner who can then write orders for  accommodations. Examples include PE restrictions/modifications and use of crutches. Appropriate footwear, such as tennis shoes and other supportive shoes (no flip-flops) must be worn when   using crutches for safety reasons.

    Following Contagious Illness

    We ask parents to notify the Health Office as soon as possible if the student develops a potentially contagious illness, including but not limited to mumps, chicken pox, measles, whooping cough (pertussis), impetigo, strep throat, Fifth’s Disease, and conjunctivitis. He/she may need to be re- admitted through the Health Office. Some illnesses may require a written back-to-school clearance signed by a physician. We work together with the student’s primary care provider and the DuPage County Health Department to determine when it is no longer a public safety concern for a student to return to the school setting.

    Following Skin Rashes

    Students with any type of rash, sore, or other skin condition should not come to school until the condition has been evaluated and identified by a physician who provides a written release to return to school for the school health office. The release should include the diagnosis, treatment plan,   and any information about precautions/restrictions to take at school.

    After a student has been released to return, any open wound or sore must be covered with a dressing taped on all four sides.

    Students will benefit from being taught to never share personal items when active in the  community, at home, or school such as clothing, uniforms, sports equipment, towels, skin balms or lotions, razors, water bottles, bar soap, etc. Students should always report any skin lesions to an adult. Following these simple precautions, and good hygiene practices such as effective hand washing, can help prevent the spread of many communicable diseases.


    An increasing number of school age children have food allergies. Symptoms can range from mild reactions to severe life threatening reactions leading to the inability to breathe, a drop in blood pressure and unconsciousness.  Please inform the health office prior to the start of the school year  if your child has a food allergy. All children are strongly discouraged from sharing foods and treats with classmates. Good communication helps insure the safety of all of our children.




    Naperville, Illinois Policy #7:270

    Administering Medicines to Students

    Students should not take medication during school hours or during school-related activities unless it is necessary for a student’s health and well-being. When a student’s licensed health care provider and parent/guardian believe that it is necessary for the student to take a medication during school hours or school-related activities, the parent/guardian must request that the school dispense the medication to the child and otherwise follow the District’s procedures on dispensing medication.

    No School District employee shall administer to any student, or supervise a student’s self-administration of, any prescription or non-prescription medication until a completed and signed School Medication Authorization Form (SMA Form) is submitted by the student’s parent/guardian. No student shall possess or consume any prescription or non- prescription medication on school grounds or at a school-related function other than as provided for in this policy and its implementing procedures.

    No student shall possess or consume any prescription or non-prescription medication on school grounds or at a school- related function other than as provided for in this policy and its implementing procedures.

    Nothing in this policy shall prohibit any school employee from providing emergency assistance to students, including administering medication.

    The Building Principal shall include this policy in the Student Handbook and shall provide a copy to the parents/guardians of students.

    Self-Administration of Medication

    A student may possess and self-administer an epinephrine auto-injector, (e.g.EpiPen®) and/or asthma medication prescribed for asthma for use at the student’s discretion, provided the student’s parent/guardian has completed and signed a SMA Form.The Superintendent or designee will ensure an Emergency Action Plan is developed for each self- administering student that includes a plan in case the student is unable to self-administer and identifies the situations when the school will call 911.

    The student may self-administer medication required under a qualifying plan, provided that:

    • The student’s parent/guardian has completed and signed an SMA Form,
    • Written permission from the student’s physician, physician assistant, or advanced practice nurse to self-administer has been provided to the school;
    • and the parent/guardian has provided a prescription label which contains the name of the medication, the prescribed dose, and the time(s) it is to be

    A qualifying plan means: (1) an asthma action plan, (2) an Individual Health Care Action Plan, (3) an Ill. Food Emergency Action Plan and Treatment Authorization Form, (4) a plan pursuant to Section 504 of the federal Rehabilitation Act of 1972, or (5) a plan pursuant to the federal Individuals with Disabilities Education Act.

    The District shall incur no liability, except for willful and wanton conduct, as a result of any injury arising from a student’s self-administration of medication, including asthma medication or epinephrine injectors or medication required under a qualifying plan. A student’s parent/guardian must indemnify and hold harmless the District and its employees and agents, against any claims, except a claim based on willful and wanton conduct, arising out of a student’s self-administration of an epinephrine injector, asthma medication, and/or medication required under a qualifying plan.

    Administration of Medical Cannabis

    The Compassionate Use of Medical Cannabis Program Act allows a medical cannabis infused product to be administered to a student by one or more of the following individuals:

    1. A parent/guardian of a student who is a minor who registers with the Dept. of Public Health (IDPH) as a designated caregiverto administer medical cannabis to their child. A designated caregiver may also be another individual other than the student’s parent/guardian. Any designated caregiver may also be at least 21 years old and is allowed to administer a medical cannabis infused product to a child who is a student on the premises of his or her school or on his or her school bus if:
    1. Both the student and the designated caregiver possess valid registry identification cards issued by IDPH;
    2. Copies of the registry identification cards are provided to the District;
    3. That student’s parent/guardian completed, signed, and submitted a School Medication Authorization Form – Medical Cannabis; and
    4. After administering the product to the student, the designated caregiver immediately removes it from school premises or the school bus.
    1. A properly trained school nurse or administrator, who shall be allowed to administer the medical cannabis infused product to the student on the premises of the child’s school, at a school-sponsored activity, or before/after normal school activities, including while the student is in before-school or after-school care on school-operated property or while being transported on a school bus.
    2. The student him or herself when the self-administration takes place under the direct supervision of a school nurse or administrator. A student may not self-carry any medical cannabis infused product; all medical cannabis infused products shall only be stored on school premises in the nurse’s office in a locked cabinet.

    Medical cannabis infused product (product) includes oils, ointments, foods, and other products that contain usable cannabis but are not smoked or vaped. Smoking and/or vaping medical cannabis is prohibited.

    The product may not be administered in a manner that, in the opinion of the District or school, would create a disruption to the educational environment or cause exposure of the product to other students. A school employee shall not be required to administer the product.

    Discipline of a student for being administered a product by a designated caregiver, or by a school nurse or administrator, or who self-administers a product under the direct supervision of a school nurse or administrator pursuant to this policy is prohibited. The District may not deny a student attendance at a school solely because he or she requires administration of the product during school hours.

    The Administration of Medical Cannabis section of the policy is void and the District reserves the right not to implement it if the District or school is in danger of losing federal funding.

    Administration of Undesignated Medication

    Upon any administration of an undesignated medication permitted by State law, the Superintendent or designee(s) must ensure all notifications required by State law and administrative procedures occur.

    Undesignated Medication Disclaimers

    Upon implementation of this policy, the protections from liability and hold harmless provisions applicable under State law apply.

    No one, including without limitations, parents/guardians of students, should rely on the District for the availability of undesignated medication. This policy does not guarantee the availability of undesignated medications. Students and their parents/guardians should consult their own physician regarding these medication(s).


    105 ILCS 5/10-20.14b, 5/10-22.21b5/22-30, and 5/22-33.
    105ILCS 145, Care of Students with Diabetes Act.
    410 ILCS 130/, Compassionate Use of Medical Cannabis Program Act, and scheduled to be repealed on July 1, 2020.
    720 ILCS 550/, Cannabis Control Act. 23 Ill.Admin.Code1.540.

     CROSS REF.: 7:285 (Food Allergy Management)

    ADMIN. PROC.:7:270-AP1 (Dispensing Medication), 7:270-AP2 (Checklist for District Supply of Undesignated Asthma Medication, Epinephrine Injectors, Opioid Antagonists, and/or Glucagon), 7:270-E1 (School Medication Authorization Form), 7:270-E2 (School Medication Authorization Form – Medical Cannabis)

    Revised: December 16, 2019



    Administrative Procedures - Concussion Management

    A concussion can be a serious medical condition. Any member of the school community who believes a student is displaying concussion symptoms should immediately ensure the student is assessed by the school nurse or the school's licensed athletic training professional. The nurse or licensed athletic trainer would then refer the student for further medical evaluation.

    When parents or guardians have been informed that their student has been identified by a licensed medical doctor or licensed athletic training professional as having suffered a concussion, the following steps should be taken.



    A.    Parent or Guardian

    Notify the School Nurse of the injury and provide any documentation from the licensed medical doctor regarding specifics of the concussive injury and any relevant recommended accommodations that should be made, including duration for accommodations.

    B.    School Nurse

    1.      Communicates with family and, if appropriate, with doctor who treated student, to fully assess student's condition;
    2.      Meets with student upon student's return to school;
    3.      Assesses student's medical needs in school context;
    4.      Collaborates with Counselor (secondary) or designated staff (elementary) to communicate relevant information.

    C. Counselor (or designated staff)

    1.      Collaborates with School Nurse to jointly assess student's academic needs and jointly formulate accommodations for student, as appropriate.
    2.      Distributes in writing accommodations to student's teachers and parents.

    D. Teachers

    1.      May seek clarification from School Nurse or Counselor (or designated staff).
    2.      Institutes accommodations as directed.

    E. School Nurse & Counselor (or designated staff)

    2.      Assess student's progress;
    3.      Re-assess accommodations, with additional input from licensed medical doctor of student, if appropriate;
    4.      Communicate to teachers any updates to accommodations and/or suspension of accommodations, as appropriate.

     Regarding the above procedures, at the beginning of each school year the following should be communicated by the school administration:

    1. This policy and its administrative procedures to all staff and parents/guardians;
    2. The identity of the school nurse to all teachers, coaches, parents/guardians, and administrators.

    The District carries student accident insurance coverage on your child’s behalf. The student accident coverage covers injuries that occur during any school sponsored and supervised activity including all athletic activities. If your family has medical coverage, this policy reimburses for out of pocket expenses including co-pays and deductibles (subject to policy conditions, limitations and exclusions). If you do not have medical insurance, our coverage is primary. If Parents/Guardians desire coverage for an accident, they must file a claim within 90 days of the injury. Accident claim forms are available from the health office or athletic trainers’ room at the high schools.

    Outlined below is a brief description of the Student Records Procedure of District 203. This communication shall also serve as the Annual Notification to parents of students or eligible students (age eighteen or over) of the right to review or challenge information contained in their educational record.

    The students permanent record shall include the following: basic identifying information, including student and parent's names and addresses, birth date and place, and gender; academic transcript, including grades, graduation date, grade level achieved and scores on college entrance examinations; attendance record; accident reports, and health record.
    Students temporary record information shall consist of all information not required to be in the students permanent record and may include family background information; intelligence test scores, group and individual; aptitude test scores; reports of psychological evaluation, including information on intelligence, personality and academic information obtained through test administration, observation or interviews; elementary and secondary achievement level test results; participation in extracurricular activities including any offices held in school-sponsored clubs or organizations; honors and awards received; teacher anecdotal records; disciplinary information; special education files, including the report of the multi-disciplinary staffing in which placement or non-placement was based and all records and tape recordings related to special education placement hearings and appeals; any verified reports or information from non-educational persons, agencies or organizations; other verified information of clear relevance to the education of the student.
    No person may require securing information from the student’s temporary file as a condition in the granting or withholding of any right, privilege or benefits or require it as a condition of employment, credit or insurance.
    District 203 shall comply with a request from the parent of a student or an eligible student to inspect and review his/her educational records. The school shall comply within a reasonable period of time and in no case later than 15 days after the request has been made.
    1. District 203 shall reserve the right to have an administrator, counselor, psychologist, social worker, and/or speech therapist present when a parent of a student or eligible student inspects and/or reviews his/her educational records.
    2. A parent or any person specifically designated as a representative by a parent shall have the right to inspect and copy all school student permanent and temporary records.
    3. School administrators may presume that either parent of the student has authority to inspect and review the education records of the student unless notified to the contrary.
    4. The right to copy permanent or temporary student record data shall be permitted at a cost of 35 cents per page for the first 10 pages; 25 cents per page for 11-25 pages; and 10 cents per page 26 and over. (No parent of a student or eligible student shall be denied a requested copy due to inability to pay the service charge.)
    The administration will mail any correspondence, records, notices or reports regarding a pupil, upon request of either parent of such pupil, to both parents of any such child whose parents are divorced, in the absence of any court order to the contrary.


    District 203 will release student records to an official of another school in which the student intends to enroll. The official must make a written request at which time District 203 will forward the student's educational records. Records are to be sent within 10 days of the request. The District will provide the parent, upon request, with a copy of the educational records transferred. Parents have the right to inspect and challenge the information contained in a school record prior to transfer of the record to another school district.


    A parent of a student or an eligible student may request a District 203 school official to amend the educational records when it is believed that the information contained in the records of the student is inaccurate, misleading, or violates the privacy of the student. Parents have a right to challenge any entry exclusive of academic grades in the school student records on the basis of (1) accuracy, (2) propriety, and (3) relevance.
    1. Within a reasonable period of time, District 203 shall decide whether to amend the education records in accordance with the request.
    2. If the school district decides to refuse to amend the education records of the student, it shall notify the parents or eligible student and advise him/her of the right to a hearing.
    3. The request for a hearing shall be submitted in writing to the school and shall contain the specific entry or entries to be challenged and the basis of the challenge.


    Prior consent for disclosure of personally identifiable information is not required in the following situations:
    1. To other school officials within the district
    2. To officials of another school system in which the student intends to enroll
    3. To comply with a judicial order
    4. To parents of a dependent student
    5. To appropriate parties in a health or safety emergency.
    6. To organizations (Federal, State or Local) conducting studies for or on behalf of the district
    7. To accrediting organizations


    A student’s permanent record shall be maintained for a period of not less than 60 years after the student has graduated or permanently withdrawn. A student’s temporary record shall be maintained for a period of up to five years after the student has graduated or permanently withdrawn.
    A parent or student has the right to copy any school student record or information contained therein that is proposed to be destroyed.
    1. Upon graduation, transfer or permanent withdrawal of a student from a school, the school shall notify the parents and/or the eligible student of the destruction schedule for the student temporary record and the right to request a copy of such records at any time prior to their destruction. Student’s permanent records are maintained for 60 years.
    2. Upon graduation or permanent withdrawal of a handicapped student psychological evaluations, special education files and other information contained in the students temporary record which may be of continued assistance to the student may, after three years, be transferred to the custody of the parent or the student if the student has succeeded to the rights of the parents.


    District 203 may disclose information from the educational record of a student who is attending school if that information is designated as directory information. Information that has been designated as directory information includes identifying information, academic awards, major field of study, dates of school attendance, the most recent previous school attended, information related to school-sponsored activities, and other similar information. The parent has the right to refuse to permit the designation of any or all categories of information to be designated as directory information. The parent must inform the school district, in writing, stating which information is not to be designated as directory information.