Social Science Overview
K-12 Social Science Philosophy
- The purpose of the Social Sciences curriculum is to provide an integrated study of the Social Sciences to prepare students to become responsible citizens.
- A viable K-12 Social Sciences program incorporates the five perspectives of Social Science identified in the Illinois Goals for Learning and the Academic Standards.
- Five perspectives of Social Sciences (historical, economic, political, geographic and behavioral sciences) should be included in the curriculum at each grade level.
- The K-12 curriculum should build upon itself — expanding and broadening skills and concepts throughout the grades.
- The K-12 curriculum should organize information which will allow students to understand connections and to make multiple applications of this knowledge.