Third grade through fifth grade students receive instruction in internet safety. Beginning in the fall of 2009, the State of Illinois has mandated yearly Internet Safety Education for 3rd - 12th grade students.
The mandated instruction includes education in the following areas:
- Safe & responsible use of social networking websites, chat rooms, electronic mail, bulletin boards, instant messaging, and other means of communication on the Internet.
- Recognizing, avoiding, and reporting online solicitations of students, their classmates, and their friends by sexual predators
- Risks of transmitting personal information on the Internet.
- Recognizing and avoiding unsolicited or deceptive communications received online.
- Recognizing and reporting online harassment and cyber-bullying.
- Reporting illegal activities and communications on the Internet.
- Copyright laws on written materials, photographs, music, and video.