English Learners Overview
Program PhilosophyNaperville School District values students’ diverse backgrounds and their unique contributions to the learning community. In order to empower learners who are meeting the challenges of a new language and culture, District 203 will support English Learners as they develop social, cultural, and academic competence by creating a learning environment that:
- Expects students to meet high academic standards
- Facilitates effective communication in English through reading, writing, speaking, and listening
In this way, Naperville School District will provide EL students with an optimal learning environment in every academic setting
- Encourages risk taking and inquiry
Program InformationEnglish Learning (EL) support services are offered at the Ann Reid Early Childhood Center, all 14 District 203 elementary schools, Jefferson Junior High School and Naperville North High School. In addition to consulting with classroom teachers regarding their work with English Learners, EL teachers provide support to students both within and outside of the classroom. All English Learners participate in an annual assessment, ACCESS for ELs, to measure their growth in English language proficiency. If you have questions about the EL program in District 203, please contact the Office of Language Acquisition at 630-848-3957.
ELL Program at Elmwood
Mrs. Paola Cruz (Email)Elmwood ELL
- ELL students are placed in regular classrooms; all classroom instruction is conducted in English. ELL students participate in Language Arts, Math, Science, Social Science, Art, Music, Physical Education, Computer and Library classes.
- Individual student needs determine the intensity of ELL instruction. Most ELL students receive at least one period of ELL instruction daily.
- ELL instruction for students in Kindergarten through fifth grade is scheduled during regular school hours. The ELL teacher and classroom teacher work collaboratively to plan appropriate instruction for students.
- The majority of ELL instruction is administered in a small group setting outside of the regular classroom. However, ELL teachers and assistants also provide support within the regular classroom when appropriate.
For more information regarding District 203 curriculum please see the district site.