Dear Parent or Guardian: For the 2018-19 school year, Naperville 203 will continue the implementation of the Digital Learning Initiative (DU) at the elementary level in all classrooms. During this school year, Kindergarten and 1st Grade students will use Apple iPad devices and the Google ecosystem at a 2:1 ratio. The iPads will be used in the classroom only and will not go home with students. Students in Grades 2-5 will use Chromebooks and the Google ecosystem in a 1:1 ratio.
Within a digital learning environment, each student is issued an electronic device to access the Internet, use digital course materials, and collaborate with local and remote peers. This opens new learning opportunities for students and provides a powerful tool for teachers to lead, facilitate, and guide learning. Benefits include:
• Improving student access to highly enabling technology, resources, and ecosystems
• Enhancing the quality of classroom instruction through access to a rich, multi-threaded, collaborative, and technology-enabled learning environment
• Increasing collaboration and communication opportunities for students
• Enabling students to control the pace, place, and time of learning
Digital Learning supports the Naperville 203 mission by providing an environment for self-directed learning and collaborative working, as well as requiring complex thinking to use relevant computer technology wisely, ethically, and efficiently to create quality products.
All teachers have received additional training to enable them to use the devices to support grade level curriculum. Continued professional learning will take place throughout the school year.
Requirements of Participation
Students who participate within the Digital Learning Initiative need to complete the following to be issued a device:
1. Sign and Obtain parent signature on Policy 6:235 -Exhibit -Authorization for Use of Computers and Electronic Networks found on our district website. (for students in Grades 2-5 only) 2. Sign and Obtain parent signature on G-Suite Permissions K-8 Form found on our district website **These forms will be provided on or before Parent Orientation nights in your building and are available from the classroom teacher.
Forms, FAQs, and additional information about Digital Learning and the Digital Learning Initiative are available at our District Website. Questions regarding Digital Learning and the Digital Learning Initiative should be directed to your classroom teacher or building principal.