GUIDANCE FOR HIGH SCHOOL ATHLETICS AND ACTIVITIES
IHSA Stage 4
- All coaches and students should be screened for signs/symptoms of COVID-19 prior to a workout.
- Screening includes a temperature check.
- Responses to screening questions for each person should be recorded and stored so that there is a record of everyone present in case a student develops COVID-19.
- Any person with positive symptoms reported should not be allowed to take part in workouts and should contact his or her primary care provider or other appropriate health-care professional. Individuals will need doctors approval to return to practice if determined to not have Covid19.
- Vulnerable individuals should not oversee or participate in any workouts during Phase 4.
Limitations on Gatherings:
- No gathering of more than 50 people at a time (inside or outside).
- Locker rooms should not be utilized during Stage 4. Students should report to workouts in proper gear and immediately return home to shower at the end of the workout.
- Workouts should be conducted in “pods” of students with the same 50 students always working out together. Smaller pods can be utilized for weight training. This ensures more limited exposure if someone develops an infection.
- There must be a minimum distance of 6 feet between each individual at all times and 30 feet between pods, If this is not possible indoors, then the maximum number of individuals in the room must be decreased until proper social distancing can occur.
Daily Guidelines and Check-in Procedures
Coach/Facilitators and Student Athlete Pre-Arrival:
- Self-screen: If experiencing any Covid-19 symptoms such as cough, congestion, runny nose, upper respiratory infection, fever and/or loss of taste and smell etc., they should alert their coach/program leader and stay home.
- Teachers and students must wear clean clothing, bring their own water bottle and towel with clearly labeled names on it. Water refill stations will be provided.
- For outdoors - wear sunscreen and bring mosquito spray if needed.
- All equipment will be cleaned daily.
- Open appropriate facilities and screen for any possible safety issues.
- Prepare check-in, workout, and sanitizing/cleaning stations for athlete arrival.
- Maintain social distancing.
Daily Athlete Arrival for each intramural/sport:
- Go to check-in stations for pre-screening by Teachers/Coaches. Maintain Social Distancing.
- Athletes will sanitize and/or wash hands (TBA)
- Go to the assigned workout station and maintain social distancing.
- Coaches/Teachers will wipe down and/or spray equipment between workout transitions.
- Athletes will complete drills/stations while maintaining social distancing.
- Students will have access to the bathrooms off the gymnasium using door 5 to enter and exit the building.
- Students will be required to sanitize their hands upon entry and exit of Washington.
- Athletes sanitize/wash hands prior to leaving. Take all personal items home. Wash clothing and gear after each session.
- Coaches/Teachers sanitize/wipe down all equipment.
- If an indoor facility is used it will be sanitized upon conclusion of workouts.
- Athletes will leave the area so the facility can be prepared for the next group/day. Maintain Social Distancing.
*Continual compliance with health and safety guidelines from above listed governing bodies will be ongoing and updated as needed*