- Kennedy Junior High School
Important KJHS Updates
Posted by Mr. Gaskin on 9/16/2021
Dear Parents and Guardians,
We have a lot to celebrate as we reflect on our first few weeks of school. We truly appreciate how well everyone is following our before and after school procedures. Mrs. Freed, KJHS Assistant Principal, and one of our Safety Directors, Mr. Williams, have revamped the before and after school procedures for bus riders, and it has been so much smoother. The students have been amazing. They are following the new procedures, and we will continue to let them know this during morning announcements. We are also impressed that our students are arriving each day on time and have been following our mitigation strategies throughout the school day. As you may have heard, there are some social media items that have been occurring at all schools. Please remind your student(s) to adhere to the student expectations that have been shared and discussed with all of our KJHS students. All of this information is also in the KJHS Student Handbook.
Also, please talk with your student(s) about making appropriate choices during lunch, recess, and during passing periods. Here are a few talking points for all of you to discuss with your student(s):
- All students need to follow the alpha split at lunch and they should not change their assigned alpha split.
- Students need to be respectful in the lunch lines, they should never be sitting on the railing, and they need to ensure that they are waiting patiently to order their lunch items.
- Students need to remain at least three feet apart from each other at all times and refrain from touching, hitting, or kicking their peers.
- All students need to pick up their own trash and should not leave their trash lying around inside or outside of KJHS. If this continues, students will not be allowed to eat lunch outside any longer.
- Throwing food or other items is never a good idea, or allowed.
- All students need to walk their bicycles while they are on KJHS property. Many reminders have been provided to these students. If they cannot walk their bikes, they will be informed that they can no longer ride their bikes to school.
We appreciate you assisting us with these expectations and all of the expectations that are in the KJHS Student Handbook. Thanks again for all of your support with this and for having these conversations with your student(s).
We have provided you with some additional information below:
Magazine Drive Assemblies will occur tomorrow during the first three periods of the day. 1st period (8:00 -8:50 a.m.) for 7th-grade students. 2nd period (8:54 - 9:35 a.m.) for 8th-grade students. 3rd period (9:39 - 10:20 a.m.) for 6th-grade students. Students will follow all of the Health and Safety Guidelines and must remain three feet apart at all times. Please ask your student about the assembly when they return home on Friday and more information will be provided in the near future about the Magazine Drive.
MAP result reports will go home with students tomorrow.
8th Grade Career Expo
Being mindful of the mandates for large gatherings, the decision was made by administration to move the date for the event from October 29 to Spring 2022.
Concession Stand Volunteers Needed
To all Kennedy Parents - Come out and help with Kennedy Concessions! Concessions (of snacks and drinks) are set up at Kennedy home sports games. It's a great way to help out at Kennedy, see the kids, meet staff and other parents. Not to mention, the kids love concessions!
Thank you for considering and for everyone who has already volunteered! If you have specific questions or would like to be automatically included in all sign-ups this year, email Carrie at KennedyConcessions@gmail.com.
Here are the current signup links, per sport:
Flag Football (concessions taken outside):
Volleyball (concessions inside, on stage):
Cross Country (concessions taken outside):
Patrick Gaskin Emily Cummings Julia Freed
Principal Assistant Principal Assistant Principal