- Highlands Elementary School
Whale Watch, May 18
Whale Watch - May 18, 2020
- Friday, May 22 is a professional learning day and a non-attendance day for students.
Final Home and School Meeting
We will be having our final Home and School meeting of the year this Tuesday evening May 19th at 7:00 pm via Zoom. All are welcome! Here is the link to the meeting:
Join Zoom Meeting: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/84642742524?pwd=TnBTbnZPUGkwWWcrNW1kcnBjVTBKdz09
Meeting ID: 846 4274 2524
A rough agenda for the meeting is attached.
2020-21 School Supply Pack
Due to the current situation, we have decided to change our school supply sale to home delivery only. School Supply Kits may be purchased online now with shipment directly to your house. Shipping will be an additional $9.95 per household. According to Shane's, deliveries will begin on June 15th or 10-15 days after your order is placed. Because we have changed the sale to home delivery only, the sale will remain open until September 1st, but please order early to ensure delivery before classes start.
Please find the lists of school supplies for each grade here:
Please note: You are not required to purchase your supplies through Shane's if you do not wish to. This is just a convenient service we offer to our Highlands families.
To order go to: www.shaneskits.com
1) Enter school code: HIGH203
2) Select grade from dropdown
3) Follow directions to complete order
4) An order confirmation will be delivered to your email
Home and School Nominations
From Sarah Plitt, nominations chair - Highlandshandsnominations@gmail.com
It’s time to start looking forward and planning for our next school year! If you would like to get involved with coordinating various programs through Highlands Home & School or SFCP, please let us know! Our school programs, run by parent volunteers bring our students so much joy and offer so many opportunities for community togetherness.
This year all nominations for committee and chair positions will be done electronically. Use the sign up genius link to nominate yourself or another Highlands parent that you feel would be interested and have the time & ability to support any of our volunteer programs. There are also positions available to nominate a chair in training. this would allow you to shadow the current chair and learn how the committee is run. We need volunteers so we can work together to make next year 2020-2021 one of the best!
Highlands Home and School Nominations Committee
Highlands Student Belonging Pick Up Procedures
The Highlands staff and I are working to prepare your child/ren’s belongings for pickup next week. In order to make sure our parent community is prepared for your assigned day, I would like to share our district approved plan for parent pickup of student belongings.
PickUp Days will be Monday, May 18 through Thursday, May 21. Due to the number of families as well as the fact that many families have students in other buildings (KJHS, NCHS and NNHS), the district created a schedule for families to avoid potential conflicts and long lines of traffic. If you missed or are unavailable on your assigned day, please come one of the other days.
Pick up of student belongings for Highlands Elementary School is as follows:
Pick up date & Time
Last names that begin with:
Monday, May 18th (9:00-12:00)
Tuesday, May 19th (9:00-12:00)
Wednesday, May 20th (9:00-12:00)
Thursday, May 21st (9:00-12:00)
When arriving for your scheduled pick-up, please follow these guidelines:
- We ask that parents arrive by car, with windows and doors remaining closed throughout the process. No walkers will be allowed to pick up or drop off materials. This is for the safety of everyone.
- Please make a sign for your right side windshield window with:
- Your family's Last Name in BIG, bold, dark lettering
- Teacher Name(s) bold,dark lettering
- A RED star if you have any medicine that you need returned.
- Cars need to follow these directions to create a car pick up line:
- During the scheduled window of time, drivers should enter the North Lot via Prairie Ave. and wait until there is room to pull on to Brainard. Once on Brainard we will begin loading your trunk. Trunks should be open once you are on Brainard. See attached map.
- Pull your vehicle up as far as possible. There will be a sign indicating the pickup stopping point for cars.
- For your convenience, a map is included to assist you in following this process.
- When you are within the first 10 cars on Brainard, please have your trunk open. If your trunk does not automatically open from the inside of your car, then please use proper social distancing to step outside of your car and open your trunk. Then, please return to the driver’s seat and proceed with caution.
- A Highlands employee will view the sign in your window, walkie talkie your name and teacher’s names to an employee within the building who will collect your child/ren’s belongings and deliver the bag/s of belongings to your trunk.
- There will be no human-to-human contact.
- Band or orchestra instruments should also be returned at this time and left in the instrument case.
- D203 student devices (Chromebook or iPad) should not be returned to school at this time. Students are to keep their devices for summer learning. Students in grades 5, 8 and 12 will receive information at another time regarding their devices.
- Please do not drop-off any other items such as staff gifts. Many of our staff members have closed their classrooms and offices and will not return until next school year.
- If you have any Highlands library books to return to the school or classroom items belonging to a staff member, please have those ready for pick up in your trunk. Place items in a bag labeled with where the items should be returned to (i.e LC, Mrs. Vandenbergh, Main Office, etc).
- A Highlands employee will put the bag/s of your child/ren’s belongings and yearbooks (if purchased) in your trunk, collect any properly marked bags of Highlands materials, and close your trunk.
- In the event of severe weather, we will conduct this process indoors on the scheduled day. The severe weather plan will be shared, if necessary, on that day
- It is recommended that you allow items picked-up from the school sit untouched for at least 72 hours. (source: NASN)
Please remain patient throughout this process and we will do our best to keep the Car Line moving smoothly.
Please see attached map.