Whale Watch, April 22
Whale Watch - April 22, 2019
- 4/15-4/26: Loaves and Fishes Paper Goods Drive
- 4/25: Volunteer Luncheon in LC
- 4/25: Cultural Kaleidoscope Night at 6:00PM
- 5/3: Half Day Institute Day - Dismissal at 11:35AM
Katherine Applegate Returns!
Highlands families, please consider joining Naperville Reads for a FREE event at Wentz Hall on TUESDAY, APRIL 23rd from 7:00 to 8:00 pm. Our One Book, One School author of Wishtree, Katherine Applegate will be presenting and talking at this event, and will discuss Wishtree in depth. This event was rescheduled from January and was cancelled due to inclement weather. More information can be found by going to https://www.andersonsbookshop.com/event/naperville-reads-katherine-applegate. Hope to see you there!
Teacher Appreciation Gift Cards
Help Celebrate Teacher Appreciation Week by showing your appreciation to members of our incredible staff through our gift certificate program. This program is completely optional and is not a fundraiser. It is designed as a convenience for parents and as an alternative to providing separate Teacher Appreciation and End-of-Year gifts. You can certainly show your appreciation in other ways and/or provide Teacher Appreciation and End-of-Year Gifts to Teachers and Staff outside of this program if you desire.
If interested, go to https://form.jotform.com/HighlandsWhales/teacherappreciation2019 and complete the form with your designated monetary gift to any teacher, staff member or bus driver that you would like to acknowledge. The online order form will close on 4/29 at 10 p.m.
It’s the Highlands 2019 Talent Show!!! – Slips Due Wednesday!
- What: The Highlands Talent Show
- When: Friday, May 17th, 2018 from 5:30-6:45PM (same day as the Highlands BBQ)
- Where: Highlands Elementary School
- Who: Any Highlands 3rd, 4th , or 5th graders
Information packets went home last week with all 3rd, 4th, and 5th graders about this year’s Talent Show. Just a reminder that all permission slips are due by WEDNESDAY, APRIL 24TH at 2:30 p.m to Mrs. Kime or Miss Hall. Questions? Email Mrs. Kime (email@example.com) or Miss Hall (firstname.lastname@example.org)
It’s the 22st Annual Highlands BBQ!
Please join us as we celebrate the end of a great school year!
- When: Friday, May 17th from 5-7pm
- Where: Outside behind the school or Inside if it’s raining
- Order: Please sign up, pre-order your meals (or ice cream only option), and pay online using this link below. Orders are due by Tuesday, May 7th. https://form.jotform.com/81005406284146
Home and School Retirement Party
Come celebrate Mrs. Burns, Mr. Hunger and Mrs. Oliver on Wednesday, May 15th from 3-4pm in the Highlands gym. Light refreshments will be served. Children need to be accompanied by an adult.
Highlands Families: Join TEAM NEF to support Highlands and NEF today!
TEAM NEF is a group of parents, staff, students, alumni and community running or walking on behalf of NEF as charity fundraisers in the upcoming Healthy Driven Naperville Half Marathon or 5k on Sunday, October 20, 2019!
- This is more than walking or running, it’s community building! Check out last years’ experience: https://www.youtube.com/TEAMNEF2018
Why should parents join? Join Mrs. Noon and other Highlands staff members to raise funds for Highlands.
- Half of the $203 fundraising minimum will go to Highlands
- Fun way to enhance our school community’s sense of pride. Our goal is 400 team members across the district. Check out last years’ experience https://www.youtube.com/TEAMNEF2018
- Great way to role model healthful goal-setting for our children
- The school with the highest % of participants based on enrollment at the close of registration on midnight, May 31, 2019 will win a $1,000 bonus thanks to the generous support of Gail Neirmeyer, Realtor, Coldwell Banker. To qualify, each participant must meet their $203 minimum fundraising commitment.
How do you join?
- Visit www.nef203.org/teamnef to sign-up.
See flyer attachment for more information and benefits.
Loaves and Fishes - Paper Goods Drive from April 15-26
Highlands is taking the opportunity to share our resources with neighbors in need! Loaves and Fishes, a 501 (c)(3) organization that was able to help nearly 19,000 individuals last year by providing healthy food and support within the Naperville Community, is currently in high need of Kleenex, toilet paper and paper towels. Therefore, Home & School has decided to have a supply drive for these products to help support this wonderful organization. There will be a collection bin located in the front lobby Monday, April 15th - Friday, April 26th.
Please contact Lori Birkel at email@example.com with questions. Your generosity is greatly appreciated!
Registration is Open! Highlands Cultural Kaleidoscope Event
Thursday, April 25th from 6:00 - 8:00 pm
Travel the world in one night! Come learn more about the cultures of our school community by visiting interactive displays and exhibits. Children attending will receive passports for stamping to carry along on their travels from "country" to "country". Immerse yourselves in the customs, celebrations, language, recipes, music, dance and wonders of the world! Your travels will culminate with a celebration and Parade of Nations in our gym.
A hard copy flier will be coming home this week or you may also complete electronic form via
If you have any questions, please contact Kerry Malinger at firstname.lastname@example.org.
REMINDER: Online Annual Update (Spring Registration for 2019-20 School Year) due by May 3rd
As you may have heard, Naperville 203 is moving to a fast and convenient Online Annual Update process for returning students entering Pre-K through 12th Grade. This online process takes the place of Spring Registration which required several forms to be completed by hand. Beginning April 4, 2019, all families will update their student’s information through their Infinite Campus Parent Portal account. Census Verification Forms will no longer be sent home with your students.
Parent/Guardians can complete the Online Annual Update in three easy steps:
Step 1: Log into your Campus Portal Account
- All Parent/Guardians should have a Campus Portal account
- If you do not have a Campus Portal Account, please email email@example.com
- Forgot your Username or Password?
- Use the Forgot your password or the Forgot your username link on the bottom of the Campus Portal Login page.
Step 2: Complete the Annual Update by May 3, 2019
- Select Online Annual Update from your Navigation Panel
- Review all the pages in the pre-populated forms
- Confirm that the information is accurate.
- Submit the application for approval processing
Step 3: Deliver required health documents to your child’s school.
- Please visit www.naperville203.org/healthservices for a list of required Exams and Immunizations.
- It is recommended that all health forms be delivered to the health office by the first day of school.
Don’t have a computer?
If you do not have access to a computer at home, please stop by the school to complete Annual Online Update.
If you have moved or will be moving, please complete the Online Annual Update with your new address. All documentation for change of addresses need to be brought to our main office at 203 W. Hillside Ave. Naperville, 60502. Please call (630) 548-4320 for more information.
Need more information?
Please view our helpful Annual Update video to learn more!
For more information or questions regarding the Online Annual Update for returning students, please contact Parent Support at 630-420-6825 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mac Movie Madness
Mac Movie Madness returns to Highlands this summer! Your child would work within a small group in creating their own movie on a Mac. Mr. Hunger, Mr. Kessler, and Mr. Wood will guide them through the process of creating a script, videotaping/acting out the scenes, and editing the video footage on the Macs. Everyone leaves the class with a DVD of their own movie production as well as a digital version on their Google Drive.
We are again offering two classes (Traditional and Advanced). The Advanced version includes the concepts described above along with a focus upon the mechanics of video production as well as inclusion of special effects. It is geared toward students with previous experience making videos and animations.
Age: Outgoing 3rd, 4th and 5th Graders
Week of June 24th-28th
- Traditional Class 10-12:30 or 12:30-3:00
- Advanced Class 12:30-3:00
Week of July 8th-12th
- Traditional Class 10-12:30 or 12:30-3:00
- Advanced Class 12:30-3:00
Location: Highlands – Mr. Kessler’s Room
A registration form is attached with additional information. A class confirmation note will be sent home after classes are set (based on interest-early May). Please email Mr. Hunger (email@example.com) or Mr. Kessler (firstname.lastname@example.org) with questions.