- Highlands Elementary School
Whale Watch, Oct. 14
Whale Watch - October 14, 2019
Here are some upcoming dates to note:
- Month of October: Family Night Out at Front St. Cantina
- 10/16: Grandparents' Day
- 10/18: Mother/Son Event at Players
- 10/20: NEF Marathon and 5K
SAFETY REMINDERS AND DRILL:
- Pets on School Grounds
In alignment with the district handbook, we ask that you do not bring pets on to school property. For the safety of all children and adults, pets are not to be in proximity of school during arrival and dismissal. With the number of students entering and exiting the school building, some animals could become excited and/or overwhelmed, thereby compromising the safety of our students. Thank you for partnering with us.
- Arrival Procedures – No car traffic on Brainard before 8:15AM
Please refrain from dropping students off via car on Brainard at the main entrance. The street is closed until 8:15AM for use by buses and day car buses only. If you are bringing your student in after 8:15, you are permitted to drive and park on Brainard. Thanks for your help keeping our students safe.
- Position of Safety Drill
The safety and security of our students and staff is a top priority at Highlands. Today, our students participated in a Position of Safety Drill. Thank you for your continued support.
EVERYDAY ALL October; how many times has your family visited? #winnerwinnertacodinner
- Front Street Cantina (15 W Jefferson)
See attached Flyer for more info
- Contact: Theresa Mueller, 630-715-9999, info@TheresaMueller.com
Grandparents’ and Senior Friends’ Day is Wednesday!
- Wednesday, October 16, 3:30 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. at Highlands Elementary.
- Highlands’ students and their grandparents and/or senior friends will enjoy a DJ, dancing, crafts, games and a professional photographer at this fun-filled event.
- Please RSVP at https://forms.gle/iSztt5HtwLws3g5h6 so we can properly plan for snacks, activities and photos.
- Contact Greta Hanson at email@example.com with any questions!
Moms and Sons: Come to Players on 10/18!
The annual mother/son event is coming up on October 18th. It will be held at Players from 7-9pm. A flyer with sign up information is attached.
Here is the link to sign up: https://form.jotform.com/82396884296173
Book Cart - Back on Wednesdays!
- Pop-up store in Highlands lobby for kids to purchase books!!
- Every Wednesday from 9:30 AM - 12:30 PM.
- All reading levels
- Prices range $3-$7 per book
- Car magnets & water bottles for $5
- Students let their teachers know Wednesday morning if they brought money
Fall Festival Parade and Party Schedule for Thursday, October 31st
Our Fall Parade and Party are quickly approaching. If your child hasn’t already picked a costume, consider a Highlands Hero! Daily, we witness the superpowers of our students, staff and parents. Celebrate your awesomeness!
Students are asked to bring their costume in a paper sack with their name and teacher’s name on the outside. Children will begin to dress for the parade at 1:15. For the school parade, please plan a costume that your child will be able to assemble by themselves. Save the more elaborate props for your evening activities! No hair paint, face paint or weapons will be allowed in school. No masks may be worn over the face. If the costume calls for cat whiskers or a blackened nose for a dog, that will be allowed; please use your best discretion.
- 1:15: Room parents may go to the classrooms to begin set up for the parties and assist with costume dressing (with classroom teacher).
- 1:30: Parade outside of the school. We begin by exiting Door 3 (northwest corner of the school) and parade south on the west side of the school, east along the south parking lot, then north in front of the school parallel to Brainard. We always look forward to seeing lots of visitors outside!
- 1:45: Class parties begin with room parents having planned the games and/or a craft! Again this year District 203 has directed no snacks for class parties. Thanks to everyone that makes this day a highlight for our students!
Alternate Activity Available on October 31st
Highlands will be offering alternative learning activities for those students who are opting out of the Fall Festival on Thursday, October 31st. These alternate activities will allow students to remain in school even if they are not participating in the parade and/or parties.
Our alternative activities will begin right after lunch and continue throughout the afternoon. To assist us in planning, please notify your child’s teacher if your child will be joining us for these alternative activities. Please contact the office if you have any questions!